Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Leo Africanus

When I lived abroad a few years back, a friend sent me Amin Maalouf's fantastic book "Leo Africanus."  I was looking up a citation in the book today for a quote I used in Chapter III of my forthcoming book and flipped to the book's concluding page.  The words there are the perfect closing of a story told by a father to a son.

"When men's minds seem narrow to you, tell yourself that the land of God is broad; broad His hands and broad His heart.  Never hesitate to go far away, beyond all seas, all frontiers, all countries, all beliefs.  For my part, I have reached the end of my wanderings.  Forty years of adventures have made my gait heavy and my breathing burdensome.  I have no longer any desire other than to live long peaceful days in the bosom of my family.  And to be, of all those that I love, the first to depart.  Towards the final Place where no man is a stranger before the face of the Creator."

No comments:

Post a Comment